Microsoft has released a new build for Insiders on the Beta channel with the update KB5001330 for Windows 10 v21H1. This update has also been released to the Release Preview channel but only for devices that are being used commercially.
This is an all-security update hence it does not introduce any new features to the operating system. Let us continue to see what this update brings, and then you may install this update using the guide provided further down the post. Installing this update will upgrade your OS build to 19043.928.
What’s new in KB5001330 (19043.928)
Improvements and fixes
Here is a list of improvements that have been made to Windows 10 with this release. Note that these are mostly security improvements and many vulnerabilities have been addressed:
- Some Insiders were experiencing an error 0x800f081f when trying to install the last release KB5000842. This issue has been fixed with this update.
- An issue in which a principal in a trusted MIT realm fails to obtain a Kerberos service ticket with an error code “KRB_GENERIC_ERROR from Active Directory Domain Controllers (ADDC) has been fixed. This issue started to occur on the devices that had CVE-2020-17049 protections installed on them.
- Several security vulnerabilities have been fixed by removing the RemoteFX vGPU feature altogether. Microsoft states that all future updates will not have this feature as it brings along security vulnerabilities, which have been identified by a security researcher. More information can be found on this Remote Code Execution vulnerability CVE-2020-1036.
- The threat of Elevation of Privilege has been fixed in the method the Azure Active Directory (AAD) web sign-in allows arbitrary browsing from third-party endpoints used for federated authentication.
- Security updates have been made to the following components:
- Windows App Platform and Frameworks
- Windows Apps
- Windows Input and Composition
- Windows Office Media
- Windows Fundamentals
- Windows Cryptography
- Windows AI Platform
- Windows Kernel
- Windows Virtualization
- Internet Explorer
- Windows Media
How to upgrade to Windows 10 21H1 Build 19043.928
Ensure that you are on the Beta or Release Preview channel and then follow the instructions below to install this update on your computer. To join these channels, follow the guide to join the Windows Insider Program.
To install this update using Windows Update, open the Windows Update page from the Settings app (Run -> ms-settings:windowsupdate) and then click on the Check for updates button. You will then be able to see the update and should start downloading and installing automatically.
Rollback/remove Windows 10 Insider Preview update
If you do not wish to keep the installed update for some reason, you can always roll back to the previous build of the OS. However, this can only be performed within the next 10 days after installing the new update.
To rollback after 10 days, you will need to apply this trick.
You can also resort to uninstalling the update using the method below.
Uninstall KB5001330 using command-line
Since we have installed this update using Windows Update, it will not be listed in the list of updates but you can see it in the command line:
- Open Command Prompt (Run –> cmd)
- Run the following command:
wmic qfe list brief /format:table
- This will show all the updates installed on the computer. Make sure the relevant updates are on the list.
- To uninstall the update, run the following command
wusa /uninstall /kb:5001330
Restart your computer once the update is uninstalled.
Cleanup after installing Windows Updates
If you want to save space after installing Windows updates, you can run the following commands:
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
- Microsoft Releases Windows 10 20H2 Build 19042.789 for Beta and Release Preview Channels – KB4598291
- Windows 10 Feature Update to version 21H1 (Build 19043.844 – KB4601382)
- Microsoft Releases Windows 10 20H2 Insider Preview Build 19042.572 (KB4579311)
- Microsoft Releases Windows 10 20H2 Cumulative Build 19042.746 (KB4598242)
- Windows 10 Version 21H1 Build 19043.867 for Beta Channel Released